Wednesday, July 9, 2008

New house: Work weekend 1

So we closed on our house on July 3, conveniently right before the three-day holiay weekend. (Maybe not so conveniently for my amazing family, who gave up two days' worth of Fourth of July partying to come help us start transforming our house into a place I'll actually be proud to say I live in.) Jason's dad and my friend Michaela from work also stopped by to help out, so a huge thanks to everyone involved.

We got a ton done during the first weekend. Here are the big highlights:
- Scraped down two walls' worth of wallpaper in the living room, a border in the bathroom and three evil layers of border in the kitchen.
- Pried huge, ugly mirror down from over fireplace mantle.
- Replaced the toilet in the upstairs bathroom.
- Took down ugly screen door so you can see the front door.
- Pressure-washed siding, and pruned back bushes and trees in the yard.

Here's the rest of what we accomplished, with pictures! Please ignore the huge mess, we were all too exhausted on Sunday evening to do anything more than clean up the painting supplies.

We finished painting 3/4 of the living room, minus the damaged wall area over the fireplace and some of the edging. Color: Pale Gold. Honestly, I thought it would be a little darker than it turned out, but it's growing on me. I kind of like it better in pictures than in person. Hmm. (Bonus: On the floor, you can check out all our painted cabinet doors!)


We completed painting in the dining room. Almost everyone who came through the house on Saturday said they really liked the old paint colors in the room (cream up top, chocolate brown on the bottom.) Personally, I think they were fooled into thinking it looked good because the rest of the house looked so bad. No, I actually didn't mind the chocolate brown, it just didn't fit into my design ideas. Colors: Spring Lily (top), Punk Rock (bottom)


Finally, the kitchen. This and the upstairs bathrooms are the rooms I'm hoping will look the most different post-fixup. We painted the walls in the same light green used in the dining room. We painted the hideous faux-wood-paneling cabinets in Martha Stewart's White Picket Fence. I still have to reattach the cabinet doors and replace the hardware. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit more trouble than I thought I would because both the hinges and the cabinet and drawer pulls don't match up to the standard pulls and hinges you can buy these days at Lowe's. I might have to drill new holes ... not the end of the world, but not as easy-peasy as I'd hoped for.

4 comments:

Aunt Linda said...

Hi Shelley,
Thanks so much for giving us a peek into your precious new home and your cute downtown. I LOVE them both. Can't tell you how good it feels to be reconnected with you a bit. I look forward to sharing in your ongoing progress and watching your precious family grow. Congratulations and thanks again,
Aunt Linda

Corinne said...

Wallpaper is evil. My mom's aunt is suggesting my mom wallpaper a room in her house and I told my mom I would have nothing no part in wallpapering. And I love the colors in the dining room. They are very Shelley :)

Nicole Puckett said...

So funny... your new living room looks almost exactly like the old one:) So excited about the blog! I already feel closer to you guys!

Shelley said...

I know, right? The colors are very similar, yellow in the living room, green in the kitchen. But in real life they're a lot more subtle than the old colors were.

I had a really hard time picking a color for the living room. I felt like I wanted to pick something different, but I kept going back to yellow, because I liked it so much in the old house!